Friday, February 6, 2009

Avoid the boring morning drive

I was doing a lot of procrastinating today, and ironically it got me thinking. I was thinking of all the stuff that I struggle with, from the really big things all the way down to the smallest things. I think that God has been working on me a lot this week, and I feel like it’s starting to rub off on me – instead of when I usually just hear what He is saying and completely ignored it, by going back to the same lifestyle that I was involved in.

Sorry, I got a little off task. . . back to the issue at hand. I feel that God has been using music for a long time in my life. The emotional highs and lows that I get from certain types of music, songs, and genres definitely is a way that God has a hand in showing me lots of things in my life. For instance, I am currently sitting in a vehicle (on the way to Dallas, Texas ) and the song that was just playing is called The Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin. Everyone that knows me pretty well can tell you that I love rock music. It gives me such an emotional high, and gets my adrenaline flowing . . . which is, by the way, one of the best feelings on earth. I feel like I can conquer the world when certain songs are playing (usually the ones that I really get into). I was thinking about how music effects my emotions, my mood, my work ethic, my personality, and a lot more in my life – and I was thinking about the songs that I was listening to while I did my workout earlier this morning. While reflecting on all these thoughts about music, God pulled the switch on the light bulb in my brain. It was one of those “Ah Hah!” moments. That was when it donned on me; if music can have these kinds of effects on people, then why in the world is Christ not effecting more and more people like the music industry is? Let me explain this idea a little better . . .

See most people view Christ as viewed as far away, and sometimes distant, but the music of today is catchy, influential, and speaks to the hearts of the audience that chooses to hear the song. Music is relevant, not always glamorous, and straight to the heart of the issue.

Why in the world can’t the message of the gospel be more like this???

See my idea is that the message we use to portray Christ should be not only relevant, catchy, and creative . . . but we shouldn’t have to use the world’s best techniques or programs, we need to quit beating around the bush and shoot straight to the heart of the issue! How much more important is the newest techniques, ministries, or programs in our churches, homes, and families if the word of God is not penetrating the hearts, minds, and souls of not only our youth, but their families and the rest of our culture? I contend that new programs, ministries, etc. don’t mean a thing if the heart of the issue (Jesus Christ) is not in the middle of everything we do.

We really need to get our stuff together and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing!!!!

From my own experience, today’s youth are not searching for new programs, opportunities, or ministries but they are searching for someone that cares for them. Someone that will listen to them, take the time to hear and share in their ideas, fears, failures, joys, and tears. Today’s youth don’t want anybody that is going to judge them, but a person that is willing to take the time and invest in them. We have to spend time with our youth where they are at, not forcing them to come inside the walls of a “church.” The fear for most youth is that when they are inside the walls of a “church,” they will be judged and/or condemned for the things that they do. I believe that we must meet them where they are, and get outside of the traditions of the past, getting to know what our youth, and their families, do for fun. What are their favorite things to do? What are their least favorite things? And can we adapt some of those things that they love to do into our ministry to our youth?

We have to get outside the walls of our comfort zones, i.e. the “church,” and meet the youth of today where they are – because it adds to the genuine nature of any ministry if a minister really and truly gets to know the hearts, minds, and the actual people that they are reaching with the Gospel. Without actually getting to know a person, I believe that there is no realistic way of meeting their needs with Christ. Showing people who you really are, in their context(s) and environments where they are comfortable, gives you an opportunity to relate with your students and their families . . . as well as giving them a way of relating to you when you start talking to them about Christ. It’s sort of a launching point, or a diving board, to how you can share the Gospel with people, inside and outside of the church.

Being an effective minister of God’s Word, to the people of today’s culture, involves taking off our “masks” that have long plagued the congregations of our church, our teachers, and our church staff. People respect and respond to genuine people, and when someone is genuine more and more people will take the time to listen, ask questions, and try to understand the essential Truths that come from the heart of Christ, into the messages we teach. Please . . . (really hear my heart when I say this) take the time to be creative when you are sharing your story and the message of Christ to others . . . because let’s face it, nobody wants to listen to a boring, 3 point sermon. And yes, if you’re wondering, I have given my fair share of the most boring 3 point sermons, anywhere around. This is why my heart is pleading with you to break outside the walls of tradition, and to find your own ways of effectively ministering to today’s generation of youth, young adults, and families. Creativity is a must if we are to translate the texts of the Word of God into a manageable way for our culture to not only hear, but to really understand and apply to their lives.

As I begin to wrap up this blog post, I’m listening to a new song; Disturbia by Rhianna. . . and it’s kind of funny, but there are a lot of truths inside this song that can be used to translate the message of Christ to the culture of today. So start with a little creativity, add a little part culture, and remember to avoid the boring and you will have an beautiful meal of Christ that most everyone will be satisfied with! Just remember to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment