Thursday, February 5, 2009

Spirit studies

I was doing my Bible Study earlier tonight in 1 Corinthians, and I was really challenged by what Paul had to say about relying on the Spirit of God. It made me realize that I don't completely let the Holy Spirit do what He was designed to do! Crazy, right?!? Let's look at this a little more. . .

In Chapter 2, Paul tells the Corinthians that the Holy Spirit imparts wisdom, reveals the Truths of God, searches the depths of God, knows my individual thoughts, speaks on my behalf (especially when I have no idea what to say), interprets spiritual truths, and instructs me in the ways of the Lord.

Now, to be completely honest . . . I'd have to say that I don't do a very good job of most of the things in that list, but I earnestly want and try to. Just ask yourself the same question, "Do I let the Holy Spirit guide and direct my life in the ways described in 1 Corinthians 2?" The answer, for most of us, is probably a big fat no. See, God doesn't ask that we be "good enough" or "clean" to follow him; Jesus chose the lowly, the dirty, the weak, the poor, and the foolish to follow Him.

Jesus was a maniac to ask these people to follow him!!!!!

At least, that's what the Pharisees thought about him . . .

If we go back a chapter, to 1 Corinthians 1, verses 18-31 talk about how Jesus is the wisdom that we follow - even though it seems like a complete load, of you know what, to the lost and dying of our generations. These people are so blinded by their own sin that they can't see the only Truth that really matters! And Christ called us to share His message with all those that are blinded by the darkness of their own sin. Christ called those that were lowly, dirty, weak, poor, and foolish to follow him because they had nothing to hold back (no holds barred). These individuals had absolutely nothing!!! They were completely empty of themselves, to the point that Christ sought them out and let them follow after Him. <----------------This is how we Christ called us to live!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to me when I say this . . . We are called to live the kinds of lives that are completely empty of ourselves, so that nothing else can be seen but Christ! This is the time that Christ can most effectively use a life - this is the true identity of a warrior. Someone with nothing to hold back, rushing into battle with all his hopes, fears, strength, and pride laid aside; trusting in the blade that he holds. His very life is depending upon that blade, and the blade upon the skill of the bearer. One faulty move, and the warrior can be severely wounded or killed. This is the same as the spiritual war that we wage both night and day. We are walking around, with our swords dragging the ground, and we're not even aware that the enemy is poised to strike right at our heels! I'm just as guilty of this as the next person, but from reading tonight I understand a little more about who I am called to be.

So now the ball's in your court. . .

What will it take for you to get in the fight?

The fight's not gonna go away, no matter what we wish or pray for. In fact, it's about to get worse. So I think it's about time that we pick up our swords, and wage the good war!


Onward to victory Christian soldiers . . . because the war is already won. The enemy just doesn't know it yet.

1 comment:

  1. I think we usually forget that the original warriors were usually nameless and fighting in the name of someone else, or for someone else's honor. For a lord or a king, perhaps. And while they sometimes were recognized for their efforts or valorous deeds, they largely gave all they had for no other reason than that it was their calling and they did what was right because it was right. Not for the pursuit of their own glory or honor or reward.

    All that to simply say that I like your direction.

    ReplyDelete